Friday, May 16, 2008

McCain's Rich Fantasy Life

Yesterday, I chanced upon the live broadcast of Senator John McCain's verbal portrait of the world in 2013. McCain looked like a cherubic ghost standing in front of a row of over sized American flags, and for a second or two, I thought I had gone to my reward and that this was to be my eternal punishment. Because I encountered McCain in midstream, I had to get with the paradigm to understand that with the senator we had all migrated to 2013 and were celebrating the accomplishments of his first term as president.

Most U.S. combat troops have come home and Iraq is now a functioning democracy. Illegal Mexican migrants are no longer slipping across the border into the U.S., and the American economy has enjoyed several years of robust economic growth. Taxes are lower and the public school system is much improved. While avoiding the horrors of universal health care, Americans now have greater access to health care than at any other time in history.

In a disembodied way, McCain was serene, cheerful, and spooky. Because his forecasts are so absurdly out of keeping with reality, I have to assume that he's on something. I'm going to check with my doctor to see if I can get some.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the ghost of McCain yet to be say that after one deft, surgical strike, the Iranians, having seen the error of their ways, are now happily shipping cut rate oil to the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Anonymous said...

Even if McCain's delusions were attainable everyone knows that the power of American presidents is severely limited and there is not that much they can accomplish. I pray for an Obama presidency but even if he can overcome the inherent racism of America (particularly in the South and not to mention the anti-Islamic rhetoric) to become president, what can he really accomplish?